Southeastward ho

A drive to get rid of excess clothes on a Sunday took me to the east village, where I stumbled upon Ma*ya Hurapan. It turned out to have nothing to do with Mayans; the food is a scattering of dishes from South East Asia. The interestingly colorful two-level eatery was empty when I went (for a late late late lunch) so I got myself a nice seat at a window (all the better to see summer belly-buttons through) and ordered Roti Canai and Chinese Sausage topped Vegetable Fried Rice. Before the roti canai, however, came a free plate of shrimp crackers with peanut sauce of the satay kind. I must tell you, however, that the peanut sauce was incredibly fantastically wonderful - this from a guy who's punded the streets of Singapore trying out every satay vendor there is. It's not as good as the best that a Singapore street vendor can offer, but it's close - and certainly far above the namby-pamby versions every other New York place offers. Even better - its free. The roti canai was very good too, nice crunchy crumbled parathas with an excellent chicken curry. The fried rice initially came with no chinese sausages at all, but a profusely apologetic waiter got them for me afterwards. The place is definitely worth trying again, if only for all those bold complex flavors. I still wonder about the Ma*ya, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...